When you think about the
70's, you probably think about leisure suits, platform shoes, bell bottoms, and
disco. The 70's were definitely iconic for disco music with songs such as "Stayin'
Alive" by the Bee Gees, "Get Down Tonight" by KC and the
Sunshine Band, and "Play that Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. But the
70’s consisted of more than just disco when it comes to music. The 70’s was the
birth place of so many great songs and groups. Groups such as Led
Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Journey, Van Halen, Cheap Trick, and AC/DC are
some of the most popular rock groups of the 70’s, bringing us many brilliant
and memorable songs that still remain popular today.
Aside
from rock and disco, soul music was also very popular during this time. We’ve
all heard the songs “Ain’t
No Mountain High Enough” by Diana Ross, “Love Train” by The O'Jays, and “I will
Survive” by Gloria Gaynor. If those songs do not scream 70’s Soul Music,
then I don’t know what does. If you have not heard of these songs, I urge
you to check them out. Soul music just seems to make the soul feel good. Listen
and see. Let us now move onto pop. Pop music really wasn’t that popular in the
70’s though. Perhaps you’ve heard of Abba? Abba was considered to be a pop band but really had more of a
disco feel to their music. If you have ever seen the 2008 movie, Get Smart, you have heard “Take a Chance on Me” by Abba. (Great
movie by the way). Some other popular songs from this group include “Mamma Mia” and “Dancing Queen.” Although
they are technically more of an 80’s group, Lipps Inc. does serve as an example of a pop
group formed in the 70’s. Their 1979 song, “Funkytown,” is one of their most popular. If
you have ever watched the 2004 movie, Shrek
2, you have most definitely heard this song. (Another wonderful movie, I
might add).
Out of the many songs of the 70’s, there is
one that really seems to stick out to me, and it holds a very special place in
my heart. Why exactly, I am unsure. It is just catchy and makes me want to sing
along. Ladies and gentlemen, I leave you with this 1976 work of art, that you
may recognize, by Hall &
Oates entitled “Rich
Girl.”
"Rich Girl" by Hall & Oates
I legit grew up listening to this music with my parents and Led Zeppelin is what made me want to start playing guitar!
ReplyDeleteI legit grew up listening to this music with my parents and Led Zeppelin is what made me want to start playing guitar!
ReplyDelete