It wasn't until a few nights ago that I gained a new appreciation for the Beatles and their music. I was convinced to watch a movie called Across The Universe. This movie is basically a musical that consists of Beatles songs and references. Even characters' names in the movie are references to names included in Beatles songs. I know, you're thinking, "wait a minute, your blogs are supposed to be about music, not movies." Well the two really seem to go hand in hand most of the time, don't they? This movie really opened my eyes, as well as my ears, to many Beatles songs that I had never heard before or had never paid much attention to. Of course they are not the original recordings of the Beatles, but actors and singers who, in my opinion, do a beautiful rendition of their songs. I'm honestly not sure if these songs would have the same effect on me if I had heard them in their original Beatles form.
The song "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is one of the songs that this movie had brought to my attention that I previously had no idea existed. And I am now obsessed with it. Listening to it every day since I have watched the movie. The songs in Across The Universe are perfectly tied into the story line of the movie which offers an understanding to the songs' meaning by the way it is used in the movie. Most of the songs are a base for the story line of the movie actually. And some of the other songs just fit in quite perfectly. "Across The Universe" is in fact a Beatles song by the way, if you were not aware. I strongly encourage you to watch this movie and listen to the soundtrack. The movie is currently on Netflix and the album can be found on iTunes as well as Spotify, and of course on YouTube. I still think that the Beatles are slightly overrated. But only slightly now, and I have gained a large appreciation for their music.
No comments:
Post a Comment