Sunday, October 30, 2016

Post #7 Hand In Hand

    If you have noticed from my previous blog posts, I reference movies quite a bit when talking about certain songs. That is because music and movies go hand in hand. When is the last time you watched a movie that did not have music? I highly doubt you can think of one off the top of your head. I certainly can't. Even silent movies and shows such as the 2011 film The Artist and the cartoon TV show Tom and Jerry  have music, that is how you know what's going on in the show. The purpose of music in movies is to portray a certain mood, point, or feeling. The music is supposed to make you feel a certain way. Maybe you have heard this before, but if you were to watch a sad movie without any music, chances are you wouldn't cry at all or feel the same emotional level that you would have,  had you been watching that movie with music.
     Some music is placed into a certain scene of a movie or TV show just because it perfectly sums up the character or action that the character is doing in that scene. It also can add an element of foreshadowing. For example, if you have ever seen the movie Deadpool, at the beginning of the final fight scene the song "X Gon' Give It to Ya" starts playing. This song lets you know that something is about to go down. It's kind of like pregame music for what's about to happen. As I said before, music is supposed to make you feel a certain way.
     We usually associate some songs with movies. Sometimes we do not know what the song is called or who it is by, but we can name the movie it was in with no problem or hesitation. Most of you out there have seen Shrek, right? When you hear the song "All Star" by Smashmouth, you most likely immediately think of the movie Shrek. Maybe you don't even know the song "All Star." But if you hear it on the radio you think "Oh, it's that one song from Shrek." The same can be said about the John Cale version of  the song "Hallelujah."
     If movies did not include music, I'm not sure I would even watch them... Well, I suppose I wouldn't go that far. But I most definitely wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of them as I do now. Movies can really play with your emotions, and with the help of the right song for the right scene, they can have you laughing, scared, crying, or confused. Just another example of one of the many amazing things about music.

No comments:

Post a Comment