I spent three and a half years in jazz band in high school as the lead trumpet player. This experience opened my eyes and ears to jazz music and I gained a new appreciation for it as well as a musical and cultural understanding of it. I played some pretty awesome songs, or charts, in my first few years of jazz band. One of my favorites that I've played would have to be a song called "Moanin'" by Charles Mingus. That's definitely a song worth listening to. It's upbeat and interesting and features an impressive baritone saxophone solo at the beginning. It also features an element of ragtime, which is basically where members of the band are playing different melodies at the same time to create a cool, and confusing, layering effect.
Here's a much shorter version of "Moanin'" by Charles Mingus, played by the Fribourg Jazz Orchestra.
Jazz music is purely an American sound. It originated in New Orleans, Louisiana in the early 1900's and spread up through the United States to New York. It sparked a lot of popularity in the 1920's and grew tremendously. Jazz music is the basis for all of the modern music we have today. If it were not for jazz, we would not have the musicality that we do today. Most Rock music stems from the Blues which is a form of jazz music, using the same, or very similar, chord progressions and rhythms.
There are more than just Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, and Dizzy Gillespie when it comes to talented jazz artists. Buddy Rich is as very famous jazz drummer that you may have heard of. Some of his more famous songs include "Caravan" and "Channel One Suite." My personal favorite jazz artist is Glenn Miller. His most popular piece is called "In The Mood." If you have ever seen the Lindsey Lohan version of The Parent Trap, you have heard this song. I think that is one of the most popular and well-known songs out there.
"In The Mood" by Glenn Miller
I don't have a whole lot of nice things to say about modern jazz music. Especially when it comes to Kenny G. One artist that I do have a good amount of respect for is Gordon Goodwin. He seems to keep things pretty interesting in a lot of his pieces. Here is my favorite of his entitled "Hunting Wabbits."
"Hunting Wabbits" by Gordon Goodwin
No comments:
Post a Comment